It is one of most common ligament injury. Is usually develops when ankle gets twisted.
Ligaments are soft tissue structures which connect bones together and stabilize the joint. Sprain occurs when ligaments are forced beyond their normal range.
- Pain in ankle
- Difficulty in walking or standing
It is usually caused by twisting injury of ankle
- Sports like basketball, football, tennis, running
- Walking or running on uneven surfaces
- Previous ankle injury
- Improper shoes
- Warm up before you exercise or play sports.
- Be careful when walking, running or working on an uneven surface.
- Use an ankle support brace or tape on a weak or previously injured ankle.
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made for your activity.
- Minimize wearing high-heeled shoes.
- Maintain good muscle strength and flexibility.
- X ray – Diagnosis is usually clinical. X ray is done to rule out bony injury.
- MRI – may be needed in some patients
- Ice fomentation
- Compression bandage
- Splint / plaster is needed in few patients
- Surgical intervention may be needed if ligament doesn’t heal or ankle is unstable